Now that I’ve gotten over my initial issues with polymer clay, and done a bit more experimenting, I had a specific project in mind that I wanted to do. I’m a nerd. I have not hidden this fact. I am working on some nerdy products for the store. I am a nerd.
One of my nerdy tendencies is Dungeons & Dragons. I haven’t been playing it for more than a couple of years, but I love it and I love my current character, Arimorel. When you’re making a character one of the things that they get is a randomised trinket from a list in the Players Manual. I ended up with “a multicoloured stone disk” and I knew right away that I wanted to find an actual multicoloured stone disk as a prop.
I searched a lot on eBay and places for something that might do, but nothing seemed quite right. And then I realised that I could use one of my crafts to make it. And so I did.
I rolled small balls of each colour and flattened them roughly.
I stacked them, and smushed them, and cut the result in half.
I stacked and smushed and cut and repeat until I had something semi-resembling stone, but with all the colours still in.
Then I cut out the shape I wanted and baked it.
I threaded it on some cord, tied a sliding knot and voila! Craftiness meets nerdiness.