October means Inktober to a lot of people. It also means many other challenges, as do all the months of the year. You’d be surprised how many different monthly challenges there are out there: FairieFeb, March of Robots, MerMay, Junicorn. It goes on and on. I have a list in my bullet journal and I intend to attempt as many of them as possible.
There’s at least one on my list that I’m not entirely sure is “officially” a thing. Arty Advent. One of my favourite YouTubers, Baylee Jae, did Arty Advent last year in which she posted a new video every day of December until Christmas. I don’t think it’s an official thing, but it’s something I’d like to do. I did do a 25 Crafts of Christmas in 2016.
Another monthly challenge put out by a Youtuber is Washiween by SamBeAwesome…
I have lots of washi tape, and “colouring” a piece in with tape is something I’ve wanted to try for a while. So after seeing Sam’s video last week I got out my tape, and I had a go.
I had lots of fun. And I learned that I don’t actually have enough washi tape. For instance, I only have thin flesh coloured tape and it doesn’t look quite right. After I did that piece, I had another go…
Even though I enjoyed this piece too – especially figuring out that if you hole punch tape you can get neat little tiny circles – there is a lot about it that I’m not too happy with. My cutting skills are horrible, for example. And drawing with the sharpie over the top is difficult with all the edges. But, as with anything, I know that I’ll improve with practice.
And so today, while testing some supplies from Wish for an upcoming blog, I decided to make another #Washiween piece.
Wanting to use all 10 colours of the washi tape I bought from Wish, I added a background to it too. This is where I discovered that cutting the edge can leave a bit of a mess, whereas wrapping the excess to the back is a lot neater.
I’ve also learned that cutting eyes sucks… I need to get more sizes of hole punch.
I’ve learned that I press too hard with the knife to do this on sketchbook paper. The first piece was on mixed media paper, and the second was on 250gsm card.
It’s difficult – nearly impossible – to see the lines you want to cut round. I do think it might be easier using my lightbox, but I don’t want to use that until I trust my knife skills better.
Here’s where I realised that putting the inner ears and nose in first was probably silly.
And here’s where I realised that this tape in particular really does not like being stuck to itself, which is why he ended up with no spots.
Lots to learn still, and lots of improvement to make. But here’s my finished piece.
I might not do 31 days of Washiween this year, but it’s going on my list of monthly challenges to attempt.