In my notebook I have a list of art ideas. Well, I have many lists of different things, but most of those aren’t important right now. On this art ideas list, under the subheading “robots” was: galaxy silhouette watercolour”.
I couldn’t remember if I wanted the shape to be galaxy, or the background. So I did both.
After I carefully and meticulously taped down two sheets of paper I realised I wanted the same shape for both, and should probably have lightboxed BEFORE I taped down the paper to a cutting mat.
Then I used masking fluid to block off the shape on one side, and the outline on the other. I did a nice thick line for the outline, because I am a messy painter. Then I realised that the fluid would change the texture of the paper and there would be an odd looking line, so I just blocked off the whole page.
Then I painted, painted some more, got the page way too wet, got out the paper towel, absorbed a lot of the water, and painted some more.
Once everything had dried, I started to peel the masking fluid off. Which is when I remembered that I have two different watercolour pads. One does really well with masking fluid. One does not.
Guess which one I used.
Thankfully, I am an impatient person. I am incapable of working on one watercolour piece at a time, because I hate waiting for things to dry. So while I was working on that disaster, I had also been doing this.
I scanned it and edited the colours a little. I lie. My boyfriend did it for me.
As awesome as it looks, I wasn’t really happy with the stars. So Tom took the photo of the stage before the stars, and edited that for me instead. Then I added the stars digitally. And it looks much much better.
After that I took the original basic robot silhouette template I had used, worked some digital magic and here ya go!
Galaxy silhouette watercolour robots. Very funky.